What to Expect After Treatment
While dermal fillers are minimally-invasive, they do require a limited recovery period, and it’s important to take proper care of yourself during this time to ensure the best possible results. Here is a detailed recovery outline for dermal filler injections:
Immediately after the injection:
- You may experience some swelling, redness, and tenderness at the injection site.
- Apply a cold compress to the area for 10-15 minutes at a time to help reduce swelling and bruising.
- Avoid touching or rubbing the treated area, as this can increase the risk of infection.
The first 24 hours after the injection:
- Avoid strenuous physical activity, alcohol consumption, and exposure to heat or sun.
- Do not apply any makeup to the treated area for at least 24 hours.
The first week after the injection:
- You may continue to experience some swelling and bruising.
- Avoid facial massages or any other facial treatments.
- Do not sleep on your face or place any pressure on the treated area while sleeping.
The first month after the injection:
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or tanning beds, and apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to the treated area whenever you go outside.
- If you experience any unusual symptoms, such as severe pain or swelling, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Continue to avoid any facial treatments, such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, until your healthcare provider advises it is safe to do so.
- Be sure to attend any follow-up appointments with your healthcare provider as scheduled.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle and good skincare routine to help prolong the effects of the dermal filler.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, which can speed up the aging process and reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
Potential Dermal Filler Risks
The choice to undergo dermal filler treatment is a highly personal one. Ultimately, you must decide whether the benefits of the procedure align with your aesthetic goals, and whether the risks and potential complications are acceptable to you.
Before your procedure, your plastic surgeon and/or staff will provide you with a detailed explanation of the potential risks involved. To ensure that you fully understand the procedure and its risks, you will be asked to sign consent forms.
While severe complications from dermal fillers are rare, the risks associated with the treatment can vary depending on the specific filler used, as well as its permanence. Possible risks may include:
- Acne-like skin eruptions
- Bleeding from the injection site
- Skin damage leading to wounds and potential scarring
- Infection at the injection site
- Formation of lumps
- Palpability of the filler material under the skin’s surface
- Skin necrosis
- Skin rash
- Skin redness
- Under- or over-correction of wrinkles
Dermal Filler Results
The duration of the results will vary, depending on the specific formulation used. Some dermal fillers last 6-9 months, while other formulas may last up to 1-2 years or longer. The procedure will need to be repeated periodically to maintain results.
To ensure that the results of your dermal filler last as long as possible, follow your provider’s post-treatment instructions carefully and attend follow-up appointments as directed. Additionally, a healthy lifestyle that includes daily sun protection and a consistent skincare routine can help you maintain the results of your dermal filler over time.
A Note on Results
The results of any medical treatment, aesthetic or otherwise, will affect patients differently based on various individual, genetic, environmental, diet, exercise and other factors. For that reason, you should always expect to see some variance between the results featured and the results you can achieve. What works for one person may not work for another, and each patient’s unique needs and expectations must be considered when determining the best course of action.
Therefore, it is essential to have a thorough consultation with a qualified and experienced medical professional who can help to determine the most appropriate treatment plan based on your specific circumstances. It is also important to understand that aesthetic treatment is not a quick fix and requires patience and commitment to achieve the desired results.
To learn more about these treatments, contact Dr Thomas at Melbourne Institute for Plastic Surgery on 03 9034 7738.