What to Expect After Surgery
Recovery time for a brow lift can vary depending on the individual, the extent of the surgery, and the surgeon’s technique. However, here is a general timeline of what to expect during the recovery process:
Immediately After Surgery (Days 1-3):
- You will be taken to a recovery area where you will be monitored by medical staff for a few hours before being allowed to go home.
- You will have bandages or a compression garment around your forehead to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Pain and discomfort are expected, but your surgeon will provide you with pain medication to manage this.
- You will be instructed to keep your head elevated and avoid any strenuous activity or bending over for the first few days.
First Week (Days 4-7):
- Bruising and swelling may peak around days 3-4, and start to gradually subside by day 5.
- You will likely have a follow-up appointment with your surgeon to check your progress and remove any stitches.
- You should continue to avoid any strenuous activity, and try to limit your physical activity and exposure to the sun.
Second Week (Days 8-14):
- Most patients are able to return to work or normal daily activities after the first week.
- Any remaining bruising can usually be covered with makeup.
- Your surgeon may recommend light exercise, such as walking, to help with circulation and speed up the healing process.
- You may still have some residual swelling, but it should continue to improve each day.
Third Week (Days 15-21):
- At this point, most patients will notice a significant reduction in swelling and bruising.
- You should still avoid any strenuous exercise, but you may be able to return to more moderate activities.
- Your surgeon may recommend other techniques to help reduce any remaining swelling.
Fourth Week and Beyond:
- By the fourth week, most patients are able to resume all normal activities, including strenuous exercise.
- Your surgeon will likely schedule a follow-up appointment to monitor your progress and ensure that you are healing properly.
- It is important to continue to protect your skin from the sun, and to follow any other post-operative instructions given by your surgeon to ensure optimal healing and results.
Potential Brow Lift Risks
The decision to have plastic surgery is a personal one that requires careful consideration of the risks and benefits. Before the surgery, you will be asked to sign consent forms to indicate your understanding of the procedure and its risks and potential complications.
Some risks of brow lift surgery may include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Elevated hairline
- Eye irritation or dryness
- Facial asymmetry
- Facial nerve injury with weakness or paralysis
- Fluid accumulation
- Loss of hair around the incisions
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Pain, which may persist
- Poor wound healing
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Rare risk of deep venous thrombosis (blood clots)
- Skin loss
- Unfavorable scarring
Brow Lift Results
Most patients will enjoy the results of their brow lift for years, until continued ageing reintroduces its familiar effects. Final results are usually set around four to six weeks.
To ensure that the results of your brow lift last as long as possible, follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully and attend follow-up appointments as directed. Additionally, a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet, regular exercise and avoiding smoking can help you maintain the results of your brow lift over time.
A Note on Results
The results of any medical treatment, aesthetic or otherwise, will affect patients differently based on various individual, genetic, environmental, diet, exercise and other factors. For that reason, you should always expect to see some variance between the results featured and the results you can achieve. What works for one person may not work for another, and each patient’s unique needs and expectations must be considered when determining the best course of action.
Therefore, it is essential to have a thorough consultation with a qualified and experienced medical professional who can help to determine the most appropriate treatment plan based on your specific circumstances. It is also important to understand that brow lift surgery is not a quick fix and requires patience and commitment to achieve the desired results.
If you would like to learn more about this procedure, contact Dr Thomas on 03 9034 7738 to schedule your personal consultation today.