What to Expect After Treatment
The recovery timeline for anti-wrinkle injectable treatments can vary depending on the individual, the type of injection used, and the specific treatment area.
However, the following is a general guideline of what you can expect during the recovery process:
Immediately after the injection:
- You may experience some redness, swelling, or bruising at the injection site. This is normal and usually resolves within a few hours to a few days.
- You should avoid touching or rubbing the injection site to prevent spreading the product to other areas or causing irritation.
1-2 days after the injection:
- You should avoid strenuous exercise or activities that cause sweating, as this can cause the product to migrate or spread.
- Avoid alcohol consumption and taking blood thinners, such as aspirin, as these can increase the risk of bruising.
- Continue to avoid touching or rubbing the injection site.
3-7 days after the injection:
- Any initial redness, swelling, or bruising should have subsided by this time.
- You may start to notice the effects of the injection, such as a smoother, more youthful appearance in the treated area.
- Avoid any facials, chemical peels, or other skin treatments that can irritate or damage the injection site.
2 weeks after the injection:
- The full effects of the injection should be visible at this point.
- If you are not satisfied with the results, you may schedule a follow-up appointment with your provider to discuss additional treatments or adjustments.
Potential Anti-Wrinkle Injection Risks
It is important to exercise caution following a wrinkle treatment and avoid rubbing or massaging the treated areas, as this can cause the product to migrate to other parts of your face, resulting in temporary facial weakness or drooping.
While generally considered safe, there are some potential side effects and complications associated with anti-wrinkle injections, including:
- Bruising and pain at the injection site
- Flu-like symptoms
In rare cases, the product may spread beyond the treatment area and cause symptoms such as breathing difficulties, trouble swallowing, muscle weakness, and slurred speech. However, such occurrences are rare.
Anti-Wrinkle Injection Results
Most patients begin to see improvement around three days, but it can happen in some cases in as little as 24 hours. Results last up to three or four months in most cases.
To ensure that the results of your anti-wrinkle injections last as long as possible, follow your surgeon’s post-treatment instructions carefully. Additionally, a healthy lifestyle that includes daily sun protection and a consistent skincare routine can help you maintain the results of your anti-wrinkle injections over time.
A Note on Results
The results of any medical treatment, aesthetic or otherwise, will affect patients differently based on various individual, genetic, environmental, diet, exercise and other factors. For that reason, you should always expect to see some variance between the results featured and the results you can achieve. What works for one person may not work for another, and each patient’s unique needs and expectations must be considered when determining the best course of action.
Therefore, it is essential to have a thorough consultation with a qualified and experienced medical professional who can help to determine the most appropriate treatment plan based on your specific circumstances. It is also important to understand that aesthetic treatment is not a quick fix and requires patience and commitment to achieve the desired results.
Anti-wrinkle injections are one of the most popular cosmetic treatments performed today. If you would like to learn more about these cosmetic options, or find out if anti-wrinkle injections are right for you, contact Dr Damon Thomas on 03 9034 7738.