Ear surgery or otoplasty is one of the few plastic surgery procedures commonly performed on children as well as adults. The procedure addresses aesthetic concerns like protruding, overly large or lop ears. Dr Thomas performs ear surgery on patients of all ages, beginning at the age of five and all the way to adulthood.
Candidates for Ear Surgery
Ear surgery can address any or all of the following concerns:
- Ears that are disproportionately large for the rest of the face
- Ears that stick out significantly from the side of the head
- Ears that fold over on the top, known as “lop ears”
- Birth defects or anomalies involving the ears
- Injury that has impacted the appearance of the ears
About the Procedure
Ear surgery may be performed under local or general anaesthesia. While adults undergoing the procedure typically opt for local anaesthesia, general is often preferred for children to ensure they remain still and comfortable throughout the surgery. Incisions are placed behind the ear or in the ear folds, where visible scarring will be minimal. Procedures usually take around 1-2 hours to complete and patients are able to go home the same day as their surgery.