A breast lift or mastopexy is a procedure that restores sagging breasts to their original position on the chest for a more youthful body contour. The procedure is very popular among women that have lost their shapely curves due to pregnancy, breastfeeding or the aging process. The procedure may also be recommended for women that have lost a significant amount of weight and need a surgical procedure to remove excess skin and reshape the body contour. Dr Thomas may perform a breast lift alone, or in conjunction with other types of breast enhancement surgery to create the most beautiful, natural results.
Candidates for Breast Lift Surgery
Women who are good candidates for breast lift surgery may have one of these concerns:
- Breasts that have lost their perky appearance due to pregnancy or aging
- Significant ptosis (breast sagging) that is cause skin discomfort and embarrassment
- Breast that appear deflated after pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Breasts that have lost their shape after significant weight loss
- Nipples and areolas that point downward instead of forward
- Breasts that are asymmetrical or in different positions
A breast lift tends to work best on smaller breasts. If the breasts are too large and heavy, a breast reduction may be recommended in combination with the breast lift to achieve the best possible results.
About the Procedure
Breast lifting surgery is performed by Dr Thomas under general anaesthesia. Incisions are generally placed around the areola with a vertical scar down to the breast crease – a ‘Lollipop’ scar. In some cases a breast crease incision is added as an “anchor” incision. The type of incision will depend on how much lift you require, whether the nipple and areola need to be repositioned, and whether other breast enhancement procedures will be performed at the same time. Breast lift surgery usually takes about 1-2 hours to complete and most patients can go home the same day as their procedure.